Apple Pie and Baseball. These are two things dear to American’s hearts. There’s nothing like a piece of hot apple pie with a scoop of homemade ice cream on top for dessert, or a slice accompanied by a cup of coffee.
Don’t tear your hair out trying to follow a gourmet recipe with dozens of steps and ingredients. Here’s an easy recipe with delicious results.
Ingredients (for 2-crust pie, double recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and stir briefly until completely mixed. Using a pastry blender or your fingers (I use my fingers), cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it’s in pea-size pieces that are slightly yellow in color, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drizzle in 4 tablespoons of the ice water and mix just until the dough comes together. (Add the last tablespoon of ice water if necessary, but don’t overwork the dough or it’ll become tough.)
- Shape the dough into a flat disk, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, then use it in the pie or tart recipe of your choice.
Roll it out into a circle and put it into your pie pan. If you are making a 2-crust pie, top with second crust and crimp the edges together. Add filling. Make 4-5 slits in top for air to escape. Brush with egg white and sprinkle course sugar on top. You can also slice second crust and make a lattice pattern. Bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown.